CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER
Michael Podell, DVM, MSc, Diplomate, DACVIM (Neurology) serves as the Chief Medical Officer for MedVet. Previously he served as the Senior Medical Officer of MedVet.
As Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Podell ensures the Medical Services team has the necessary resources and tools to deliver the highest quality, most compassionate specialty and emergency veterinary care to our patients, clients, and Referral Partners. Along with supporting the team, he is responsible for the healthy growth of our hospitals in the Midwest and Dallas-Fort Worth regions. Dr. Podell is also passionate about enhancing the wellbeing of our Healthcare team to improve their work-life harmony.
Dr. Podell’s commitment to education began at the University of North Carolina in 1980, where he received the first of many academic achievements, a Bachelor of Art in Biology and Psychology with Honors. Immediately following graduation, he attended Tel-Aviv University, and was awarded a Master of Science in Physiology and Pharmacology. In 1988, Dr. Podell earned a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from Tufts University. He then completed an internship in small animal medicine at The Animal Medical Center in New York City, followed by a residency in neurology at The Ohio State University.
Following his board-certification, Dr. Podell received the Certificate of Recognition in Neurosurgical Expertise. Prior to MedVet, Dr. Podell was a Full Professor in the Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences at The Ohio State University until 2002, when he moved to Chicago to open the area’s first veterinary neurology and neurosurgery practice. He has authored numerous published book chapters and articles and is an expert in neurosurgery and epilepsy management.
During his free time, Dr. Podell enjoys spending time with his family, traveling, and is working to engage the veterinary profession to improve the health of bees worldwide.
Education and Training
- Bachelor of Arts (Biology and Psychology- Honors): University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Master of Science (Physiology and Pharmacology): Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts
- Internship (Small Animal Medicine): The Animal Medical Center, New York, New York
- Residency (Neurology): The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
- Board Certification: American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Neurology)
Professional Memberships & Organizations
- American Academy of Neurology (AAN)
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (ACVIM)
- American Epilepsy Society (AES)
- American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
- Chicago Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA)
- Illinois State Veterinary Medical Association (ISVMA)