Atopy in Dogs
MedVet Columbus is currently enrolling patients in a study evaluating the benefits and effectiveness of a new diet supporting dogs diagnosed with Canine Atopic Dermatitis (CAD).
Clinical Study Patient Eligibility
- Dogs must be adults and weigh at least 5kgs/11 lbs.
- Must be diagnosed with CAD by a Veterinary Dermatologist
- Must be on routine flea prevention for at least 30 days from time of screening
- Must have been on the same diet for at least five weeks prior to screening
- May be on allergy vaccinations if they have been them for at least nine months
- Have not been treated with any long-acting steroids for at least eight weeks
- All medication for allergies must be stable for at least 30 days prior to screening
- Dogs with food allergies (confirmed with an elimination diet trial) are excluded from the study
- Cannot have or suspected to have a food hypersensitivity to poultry.
- Cannot have significant health conditions (such as Cushing’s disease or chronic kidney disease) or be recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism (or other systemic diseases that may interfere with the outcomes)
Requirements of the Owner(s) of Study-eligible Patients
- Must be able to return for four study visits at a frequency of every three weeks after the initial visit for a total of 12 weeks (visits are day 0, week 3, 6, 9, 12 for a total of 5 visits).
- Must monitor the patient’s clinical signs throughout the 12 weeks and record findings in a diary
- Must ensure that no other foods, including treats and human food, are fed during the study period
- May be asked for pictures of their pet
- Should not have known plans to move, renovate their home, or add additional pets during the study period
Patients will be screened by one of our dermatologists to determine eligibility for enrollment. Enrolled patients can be fed either dry food only or a combination of dry and wet food. Treats may need to be discontinued for 12 weeks.
All study related visits (including lab work during the screening visit) and diet will be provided to the owner(s) at no cost to the owner(s).
Drs. Natalie Theus or Elizabeth Toops at MedVet Columbus, 614.412.4402 or emailing email@example.com.