Amanda Steinagel, DVM is a Small Mammal Resident at MedVet Hilliard, where she has been part of the medical team since 2017. Dr. Steinagel received a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from Randolph-Macon College in Ashland, VA, followed by a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine in Columbus, Ohio. After completing veterinary school, Dr. Steinagel performed a yearlong small animal medicine and surgery internship with the Pennsylvania Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Associates at Hickory Veterinary Hospital in Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, as well as a second internship in avian and exotic medicine and surgery at the Animal Medical Center in New York.
In addition to her clinical endeavors, Dr. Steinagel is an active member of several professional organizations, as well as a published author with publications covering a wide variety of topics, including vitamin C supplementation in giant elephant shrews, mussel hematology and biochemistry, and endoscopy in psittacines. Although interested in all aspects of veterinary medicine, Dr. Steinagel is particularly passionate about small mammal medicine, reptile medicine, zoo and wildlife medicine, and conservation medicine. Her favorite part about being a veterinarian is having the opportunity to learn something new everyday – whether that be working with a new species or learning new technical/surgical techniques. She also enjoys working in a field that allows her to build new relationships with clients and their pets on a regular basis.
When not caring for patients, Dr. Steinagel enjoys participating in outdoor activities, such as hiking, biking, running and swimming, as well as spending time with her energetic pug, Elvis.
- Bachelor of Science: Randolph-Macon College, Ashland, Virginia
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Columbus, Ohio
- Internship: Pennsylvania Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Associates, Hickory Veterinary Hospital, Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
- Internship: The Animal Medical Center, New York, New York
- Association of Avian Veterinarians
- Association of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians
- American Association of Zoo Veterinarians
- Pittsburgh Veterinary Medical Association
- Ohio Veterinary Medical Association