Amy R. Back, DVM, MS, Diplomate, ACVIM (Oncology) is a board-certified Veterinary Medical Oncologist at MedVet Cincinnati and MedVet Dayton. She is also the Medical Director for MedVet Dayton and has been part of the medical team since 2013.
Dr. Back attended The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine where she earned her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree. Following her graduation from veterinary school, Dr. Back completed a yearlong internship in small animal medicine and surgery at Garden State Veterinary Specialists and a three-year residency in small animal oncology and Masters of Biomedical Sciences at Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine.
Since becoming a board-certified Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Oncology), Dr. Back has become a leader in veterinary oncology. Her research has been published in Veterinary and Comparative Oncology. She is an active advocate of continued education for veterinary professionals and has lectured at both local and national meetings on various small animal oncology topics including Metronomic Chemotherapy, Spinal Tumors, Skin Tumors, Lymphoma and other various tumor types.
Although Dr. Back maintains an interest in all aspects of small animal oncology, she has particular interests in metronomic chemotherapy, flow cytometry, immunotherapy, and hematopoietic tumors. She is also interested in innovative, integrative, and holistic treatments utilizing immune modulating therapies. Dr. Back enjoys witnessing the special bond between pets and their families that can become even stronger after receiving a diagnosis of cancer.
Entering the field of veterinary medicine was a calling, rather than a choice, for Dr. Back. This calling led her to veterinary oncology when her dog, Brewer, was diagnosed with cancer. She wanted to share the compassion, support, and medical expertise with others that she had experienced during Brewer’s care. When not treating patients, Dr. Back enjoys outdoor activities like hiking, boating, running, and fishing. She played college soccer and still enjoys several sports. She loves spending time with her family, and boxers, Stella and Titan.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Columbus, Ohio
- Internship: Garden State Veterinary Specialists, Tinton Falls, New Jersey
- Residency: Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine, Auburn, Alabama
- Masters of Biomedical Sciences: Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine, Auburn, Alabama
Board Certification: Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Oncology)
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Oncology)
- Veterinary Cancer Society
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Ohio Veterinary Medical Association
- Miami Valley Veterinary Medical Association (CE Co-Chair)
- Cincinnati Veterinary Medical Association
- American Kennel Club (Review Committee)