Ashley J. Wiese, DVM, MS, Diplomate, ACVAA, is a Regional Medical Director, providing guidance and leadership to the Medical Services teams at MedVet Cincinnati, MedVet Columbus, MedVet Dayton, MedVet Hilliard, MedVet Indianapolis, and MedVet Lexington. Prior to this role, Dr. Wiese practiced as a Board-certified Specialist in Veterinary Anesthesia & Analgesia at MedVet Cincinnati since 2012.
Dr. Wiese attended The Ohio State University in Columbus, OH where she earned a Bachelor of Science degree, a Master of Science degree, and a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree. Following her graduation from veterinary school, Dr. Wiese completed a yearlong internship in small animal medicine and surgery at MedVet Columbus and a three-year small animal anesthesia and critical care residency at the University of California, Davis, Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital in Davis, CA. She also completed a Postdoctoral Fellowship with the Department of Anesthesiology at the University of California, San Diego in San Diego, CA.
After becoming a board-certified Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Anesthesiologists, Dr. Wiese returned to MedVet and has become a well-known leader in veterinary anesthesiology. She has received multiple awards for her research presented at national conferences including the American College of Veterinary Anesthesiologists (ACVA) and the Veterinary Midwest Anesthesia and Analgesia Conference. Dr. Wiese was also awarded a travel grant by the ACVA Foundation.
Dr. Wiese has authored numerous manuscripts that have been published in books and peer reviewed journals including Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, American Journal of Veterinary Research, Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia, Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, The Textbook of Small Animal Emergency Medicine, Veterinary Centers of America: Anesthesia Manual, Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia, Handbook of Veterinary Pain Management, Comprehensive Treatment of Chronic Pain by Medical, Interventional, and Integrative Approaches.
She is also an active advocate of continued education for veterinary professionals and has lectured on various small animal anesthesiology topics including anesthesia, anesthetic monitoring, mechanical ventilation and pain management.
In addition to her interests in anesthetic management of clinical patients, Dr. Wiese has focused on investigating and developing new and improved anesthetic techniques for elective and high risk animals requiring surgery, objective monitoring methodologies, and the clinical application of mechanism based therapies for treating pain. Her research interests include the translation of basic neurobiological and pharmacokinetic principles to the treatment of clinical pain, anesthesia for animals with cardiovascular disease, and perioperative monitoring and fluid balance. When not treating patients, Dr. Wiese enjoys running, swimming, cycling, reading, and gardening.
- Bachelor of Science: The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Columbus, Ohio
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Columbus, Ohio
- Masters of Science: The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Columbus, Ohio
- Internship: MedVet Medical & Cancer Centers for Pets, Columbus, Ohio
- Residency: University of California, Davis, Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital
- Postdoctoral Fellowship: Department of Anesthesiology, University of California, San Diego
- Board Certification: Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia
- American College of Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia
- American College of Veterinary Anesthesiologists
- Greater Cincinnati Society of Anesthesiologists
- American Veterinary Medical Association