Barbara (Barb) A. Lightner, DVM, Diplomate, ACVS-SA is a Board-certified Veterinary Surgeon and serves as the Regional Medical Director providing leadership and guidance to MedVet Akron, Cleveland Northeast, Cleveland West, Commerce, Mahoning Valley, Norwalk, Pittsburgh, and Toledo.
Dr. Lightner attended The Ohio State University, where she earned both her Bachelor of Science degree as well as her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree. Following her graduation from veterinary school, Dr. Lightner completed a yearlong internship in small animal medicine and surgery, as well as a three-year residency in small animal surgery at The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine.
Since becoming a board-certified Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons, Dr. Lightner has become a leader and well-known figure in the veterinary community. She has authored multiple published articles on urinary tract and avian surgery. She enjoys soft tissue and orthopedic surgeries, and also has a great deal of experience in avian surgical procedures.
Dr. Lightner enjoys treating all types of pets, from large animals to exotics. She takes pride in being part of a team that works together to save even the most critically sick or injured animals, and her favorite part of practicing veterinary medicine is being able to make a difference in the quality of life of her patients. In her free time, Dr. Lightner enjoys competing with her horses in the United States Eventing Association and United States Dressage Federation competitions.
- Bachelor of Science: The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Columbus, Ohio
- Internship: The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Columbus, Ohio
- Internship: MedVet Medical & Cancer Centers for Pets, Columbus, Ohio
- Small Animal Surgery Residency: The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Columbus, Ohio
- Board Certification: Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons - Small Animal
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons
- Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Ohio Veterinary Medical Association
- Columbus Academy of Veterinary Medicine