Eric R. Schertel, DVM, PhD, Diplomate, ACVS-SA serves as MedVet’s Chief Medical Officer. He has been a partner at MedVet since January of 1999 and has been the managing partner since June of 1999. Prior to his current role, he served as President and Head of Surgery. He transitioned from the practice of surgery to full-time administrative responsibilities in 2010.
Dr. Schertel received his PhD in cardiopulmonary physiology in 1987 and moved to Ohio to complete his surgical residency at The Ohio State University (OSU). He joined the faculty of The OSU’s College of Veterinary Medicine and served as Director of Research in the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery in The OSU’s College of Medicine until 1999.
Dr. Schertel specialized in soft tissue surgery with a special interest in liver, adrenal, thoracic and cardiovascular surgery. His work has been widely published in peer-reviewed journals on veterinary surgery, shock and cardiopulmonary physiology. He mentored many talented residents during his clinical years and several have remained with or returned to the MedVet team in leadership roles.
When Dr. Schertel is away from the hospitals, he enjoys traveling and spending time with family and his dogs, Ruby and Tucker.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: University of California, Davis, Davis, California
- PhD: University of California, Davis, California
- Residency: The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Columbus, Ohio
- Board Certification: Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons - Small Animal
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons
- Ohio Veterinary Medical Association
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Columbus Academy of Veterinary Medicine