Erika Haschke Pickens, DVM, Diplomate, ACVIM (SAIM) is a Board-Certified Small Animal Internal Medicine Specialist at MedVet Dallas and MedVet Richardson. Dr. Pickens is an alumna of Texas A&M University where she graduated Cum Laude with a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Biomedical Science in 1995. She remained at Texas A&M University and graduated Cum Laude in 1999 with her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree. Following veterinary school, Dr. Pickens completed a yearlong internship in small animal medicine and surgery at Metroplex Veterinary Centre in Irving, TX, before working as a general practitioner in the Houston area for the next two years. Further pursuing her interest in internal medicine, Dr. Pickens went on to complete a two-year residency in small animal internal medicine at Louisiana State University, leading to her board-certification as a veterinary internal medicine specialist.
While Dr. Pickens maintains an interest in all aspects of veterinary internal medicine, she has a particular passion for hematology, endocrinology, and infectious diseases. Outside of her clinical interests, Dr. Pickens’ favorite part of being a veterinarian is being able to improve an animal’s health by developing a treatment plan to help her patients maintain a good quality of life. When not caring for her patients, Dr. Pickens enjoys traveling, hiking, being outdoors, snow skiing, and reading, as well as improving her photography and cooking skills.
- Bachelor of Science: Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- Internship: Metroplex Veterinary Centre, Irving, Texas
- Residency: Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Board Certification: Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Medicine (Small Animal Internal Medicine)
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Texas Veterinary Medical Association
- Dallas County Veterinary Medical Association
- Tarrant County Veterinary Medical Association