Erika Sikina, DVM, MPH is a veterinarian who is residency trained in emergency & critical care. She has been a part of the team at MedVet Chicago since September 2019.
Dr. Sikina earned her Bachelor of Science degree as a double major in Brain, Behavior, and Biopsychology and Anthropology/Zoology from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI followed by her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from the Michigan State University School of Veterinary Medicine in East Lansing, MI. She also completed her rotating medicine and surgery internship at the University of Wisconsin College of Veterinary Medicine in Madison, WI.
Dr. Sikina has authored a research paper on the “Bioavailability of Suppository Acetaminophen in Healthy and Hospitalized Ill Dogs,” published in the Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics. She also maintains active memberships with several veterinary professional organizations, including the Michigan Veterinary Medical Association (MVMA), the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) and the American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care (ACVECC).
Although Dr. Sikina maintains an interest in all aspects of emergency medicine and critical care, she has particular interests in sepsis, acute kidney disease, mechanical ventilation, and dialysis. She enjoys the upbeat pace and energy of emergency medicine, a new patient always walking through the door, the variety of pets she sees daily, and putting smiles on people’s faces.
When she isn’t practicing veterinary medicine, Dr. Sikina enjoys cooking and traveling.
- Bachelor of Science (Brain, Behavior, and Biopsychology and Anthropology/Zoology): University of Michigan, Anne Arbor, MI
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: Michigan State University School of Veterinary Medicine, East Lansing, MI
- Rotating Medicine and Surgery Internship: University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
- Residency Trained in Emergency & Critical Care
- Michigan Veterinary Medical Association (MVMA)
- American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
- American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care (ACVECC)