Jose Guevara, VMD, Diplomate, ACVS-SA is a board-certified small animal Veterinary Surgeon at MedVet Asheville. Dr. Guevara was born and raised outside of Washington, D.C. in the Maryland suburbs. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science at Stanford University in Stanford, CT.
Before pursuing a career in veterinary medicine, Dr. Guevara gained a love for animals volunteering at a local ASPCA clinic. He followed his passion and earned a Veterinary Medicine Doctor degree from the University of Pennsylvania Philadelphia School of Veterinary Medicine in Philadelphia, PA. Following earning his doctorate, he completed a rotating internship at the Animal Medical Center in New York, NY. He then completed a surgical internship at the Dallas Veterinary Surgical Center in Dallas, TX and the Carolina Veterinary Specialists. Dr. Guevara then completed an Orthopedic Fellowship, as well as a three-year residency in small animal surgery at the University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine in Knoxville, TN.
Special interests of Dr. Guevara include orthopedics, minimally invasive surgery, wound management, 3D printing of surgical models, and physical rehabilitation.
Outside of the hospital, Dr. Guevara enjoys spending time with his wife and two boys, and their many dogs and cats. He enjoys traveling, mountain biking, hiking, snowboarding, yoga, and exploring the many restaurants in Asheville.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science: Stanford University
- Veterinary Medicine Doctor: University of Pennsylvania Philadelphia School of Veterinary Medicine
- Rotating Internship: Animal Medical Center (New York, NY)
- Surgical Internship: Dallas Veterinary Surgical Center
- Orthopedic Fellowship: University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine
- Three-year Residency Small Animal Surgery: University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine
- Board Certification: Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons