Karina Valerius, DVM, MS, Diplomate, ACVIM (Oncology), is a board-certified Veterinary Medical Oncologist at MedVet Cincinnati where she has been part of the medical team since 2010. Dr. Valerius attended Texas A&M University where she earned a Bachelor of Science degree and Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree. Following her graduation from veterinary school, Dr. Valerius completed a yearlong internship in small animal medicine and surgery at the University of Missouri and a three-year residency in small animal oncology at Colorado State University where she also earned a Master of Science degree.
After becoming a board-certified Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Oncology), Dr. Valerius joined the faculty at The Ohio State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital in 1997. In 1999, she moved to Cincinnati and established herself in specialty practice.
Dr. Valerius has authored and co-authored of several scientific articles that have been widely published in peer-reviewed journals, including the Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association, the American Journal of Veterinary Research and the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. She’s also completed a book review and manuscript reviews for the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. Dr. Valerius is also an active advocate of continued education for veterinary professionals and has lectured on various small animal oncology topics at the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine conference, Veterinary Cancer Society and the Miami Valley Veterinary Medical Association.
Dr. Valerius maintains an interest in all aspects of small animal oncology with particular interests in metronomic chemotherapy. Her favorite part of being a veterinary oncologist is forming personal relationships with clients and getting to know pets and their families. When not treating patients, Dr. Valerius enjoys spending time with her family, running, hiking, camping, and outdoor activities.
- Bachelors of Science: Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- Masters of Science: Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado
- Internship: University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri
- Residency: Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado
- Board Certification: Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Oncology)
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Oncology)
- Veterinary Cancer Society
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Cincinnati Veterinary Medical Association, Past Board Member, Past Program Chair, Past Trustee
- Miami Valley Veterinary Medical Association