Dr. Santos is originally from Brazil and attended the Federal University of Viçosa in Minas Gerais, Brazil, earning his Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree. He completed three surgery internships at The Equine Center in San Luis Obispo, CA, Hagyard Equine Hospital in Lexington, KY, and the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana, IL. Dr. Santos continued at the University of Illinois, completing a three-year large animal surgery residency and earning a Master of Science degree. Prior to joining MedVet, Dr. Santos completed a one-year surgical fellowship at Metropolitan Veterinary Hospital in Copley, OH, and brings seven years of experience as a veterinarian at equine hospitals in Virginia and North Carolina. He enjoys the opportunity to pursue his passion for small animal surgery at MedVet.
Dr. Santos has co-authored multiple articles published in veterinary journals, including Veterinary Radiology & Ultrasound, American Journal of Veterinary Research, Australian Veterinary Journal, and Journal American Veterinary Medical Association. He enjoys all aspects of surgery but has a special interest in minimally invasive laparoscopic procedures and soft tissue surgery. His favorite part of practicing veterinary medicine is the ability to serve the community by helping small animals with their ailments.
In his free time, Dr. Santos enjoys spending time with his wife, who is also a small animal veterinarian, their dog, two cats, and two horses.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: Federal University of Viçosa, Minas Gerais, Brazil
- Surgery Internship: The Equine Center, San Luis Obispo, CA
- Surgery Internship: Hagyard Equine Hospital, Lexington, KY
- Surgery Internship: University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, IL
- Large Animal Surgery Residency: University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, IL
- Master of Science: University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, IL
- Board Certification: Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons - Large Animal