Marejka H. Shaevitz, DVM, MS, is a Veterinarian who is residency trained in Oncology at MedVet Columbus where she has been a part of the team since August 2020. She attended Stanford University in Stanford, CA where she earned, with honors, her Bachelor of Science degree in Biological Sciences. Following her undergraduate studies, Dr. Shaevitz earned her Master of Science degree in Clinical Psychology from the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, UT and then her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from Oregon State University College of Veterinary Medicine in Corvallis, OR. To further her education, Dr. Shaevitz completed a small animal medicine and surgery internship at the University Of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine in Urbana, IL and then a Medical Oncology Residency at the Purdue Comparative Oncology Program at Purdue University in West Lafayette, IN.
Dr. Shaevitz’s favorite part of practicing veterinary medicine is connecting with her clients and their pets. Making challenging decisions that provide the best quality of life for the pet and that fit with the family’s needs is very important to her. Veterinary medical oncology plays a huge role in the collaborative research with human oncology, therefore, she also enjoys seeing scientists’ and clinicians’ work on both sides to help elevate cancer therapy for all. Dr. Shaevitz is passionate about treating hemangiosarcoma and thymoma, as she has lost cherished pets to both. She also loves treating lymphoma, osteosarcoma, and transitional cell carcinoma. Every cancer has its challenge and rewards.
Dr. Shaevitz is certain that the choice to work in veterinary medical oncology was the best career decision she could have made. In 2000, she was diagnosed and treated for Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Ten years later, her golden retriever, Kimball, fought her own battle with cancer, hemangiosarcoma. Losing Kimball was her inspiration to become a veterinary medical oncologist. She wanted to honor Kimball’s legacy and also contribute to the field of science that granted her own survival.
When not caring for her patients, Dr. Shaevitz enjoys running with her dog Hana and cooking. She also enjoys being out in nature, whether she is in the ocean, mountains, rivers, lakes, or the forest.
- Bachelor of Science: Stanford University, Stanford, California
- Master of Science: University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: Oregon State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Corvallis, Oregon
- Small Animal Medicine and Surgery Internship: University Of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine, Urbana, Illinois
- Medical Oncology Residency: Purdue University Comparative Oncology Program, West Lafayette, Indiana
- American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (ACVIM)
- Veterinary Cancer Society (VCS)