Matt Read, DVM, MVSc, Diplomate, ACVAA, is a Board-certified Specialist in Veterinary Anesthesia & Analgesia at MedVet Columbus, where he has been part of the team since 2018. He is also the Anesthesia Specialty Leader for all MedVet locations.
Dr. Read attended the University of Calgary for pre-veterinarian studies (Zoology) in Alberta, Canada, before going on to earn his Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree with distinction from the Western College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon, Canada in 1998. Following veterinary school, Dr. Read remained at the Western College of Veterinary Medicine and completed a residency in veterinary anesthesia and analgesia and a Master’s of Veterinary Science in wildlife anesthesia.
Dr. Read taught at the University of Georgia for two years and became board-certified with the American College of Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia in 2002 before returning to Canada and developing and supervising the anesthesia services in two specialty veterinary hospitals in Toronto and Calgary. He then joined the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Calgary where he taught veterinary students, conducted clinical and educational research, and practiced anesthesia in its Distributed Veterinary Learning Community. For two years, he also served as Assistant Dean of Admissions and Recruitment. In July 2018, Dr. Read was awarded the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association Small Animal Practitioner Award in recognition for improving the welfare of patients through better anesthesia and pain management.
Dr. Read enjoys sharing his passion and enthusiasm for anesthesia and pain management. He has delivered more than 100 lectures and workshops across North America and around the world and is currently preparing the second edition of the textbook, Small Animal Regional Anesthesia and Analgesia. Dr. Read provides anesthesia services at MedVet Columbus and anesthesia education to MedVet hospitals in Ohio and area Referral Partners. He is passionate about mentoring others to enhance patient care, and the opportunities working with our MedVet Healthcare Team and Referral Partners.
When not caring for patients or educating colleagues, Dr. Read can be found enjoying time with his amazing wife and two daughters, as well as scuba diving, golfing, watching college football, or traveling.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: Western College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
- Masters of Veterinary Science: Western College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
- Residency: Western College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
- Board Certification: Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American College of Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia
- American Society of Regional Anesthesia
- Canadian Veterinary Medical Association
- Association of Veterinary Anaesthetists
- Ohio Veterinary Medical Association