Margaret (Meg) J. McBrien, DVM, Diplomate, ACVIM (SAIM) is a board-certified veterinary Internal Medicine Specialist at MedVet Lexington where she has been part of the medical team since 2015. Dr. McBrien attended Washington University and The Ohio State University where she studied Biology and Zoology and earned her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree.
Following her graduation from veterinary school, Dr. McBrien spent nearly ten years in general veterinary practice at which time she became a Certified Veterinary Acupuncturist by the International Veterinary Acupuncture Society. Dr. McBrien wanted to provide additional in-depth care for her patients and resumed her veterinary training and completed a yearlong internship in small animal medicine and surgery and a three-year residency in small animal internal medicine at MedVet Columbus.
After becoming a board-certified Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Dr. McBrien worked as a staff internist at Northeast Veterinary Referral Hospital in Plains, Pennsylvania before rejoining the MedVet team. She is an active advocate of continued education for veterinary professionals and has lectured on a variety of small animal internal medicine topics.
Dr. McBrien maintains an interest in all aspects of small animal internal medicine with particular interest in auto-immune, infectious endocrine, hepatic, and gastrointestinal diseases. She has an outstanding commitment to patient care and enjoys creating close relationships with her patients, their families and referring veterinarians.
Dr. McBrien has traveled to Nicaragua with the international aid organization World Vets to provide pro bono veterinary care for the pets of native Nicaragua. She has also volunteered veterinary services to cats and dogs displaced by Hurricane Katrina. Dr. McBrien received special recognition in Ohio as Volunteer of the Year for her work with the Columbus AIDS task force by founding “The Pet Project” promoting safe pet ownership. She was also awarded the Outstanding Partner in Education by the Dublin, Ohio School District.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Columbus, Ohio
- Internship: MedVet Medical & Cancer Centers for Pets, Worthington, Ohio
- Residency: MedVet Medical & Cancer Centers for Pets, Worthington, Ohio
- Board Certification: Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Small Animal Internal Medicine)
- Certified Veterinary Acupuncturist: International Veterinary Acupuncture Society
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- International Veterinary Acupuncture Society
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Kentucky Veterinary Medical Association