Michael Podell, DVM, MSc, Diplomate, ACVIM (Neurology) is board-certified Veterinary Neurologist at MedVet Chicago. He serves as the Senior Medical Officer and Chief Medical Officer Elect. He is also the head of the Neurology department. Dr. Podell’s commitment to education began at the University of North Carolina in 1980, where he received the first of many academic achievements, a Bachelor of Art in Biology and Psychology. Immediately following his graduation, Dr. Podell attended Tel-Aviv University and was awarded a Masters of Science in Physiology and Pharmacology. In 1988, Dr. Podell earned his Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from Tufts University. He then completed an internship in small animal medicine at The Animal Medical Center in New York City, followed by a residency in neurology at The Ohio State University.
Following his board-certification, Dr. Podell was the recipient of the Certificate of Recognition in Neurosurgical Expertise. Dr. Podell was a professor in the Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences at The Ohio State University until 2002, when he moved to Chicago to open the area’s first veterinary neurology and neurosurgery practice. Dr. Podell continues to demonstrate his passion for veterinary medicine and neurological sciences through his daily work with neurologic patients at MedVet Chicago, numerous published book chapters and articles, and his expertise in neurosurgery and epilepsy management.
Dr. Podell is actively engaged in comparative medicine curative research for animals and people through clinical trials and education of future veterinary neurologists. During his free time, Dr. Podell enjoys spending time with his family, which includes two daughters (Rachel and Dana), two dogs (Phoebe and Julie), two cats (Lucy and Desi) and just one wife, Sue!
- Bachelor of Arts (Biology and Psychology- Honors): University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Master of Science (Physiology and Pharmacology): Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts
- Internship (Small Animal Medicine): The Animal Medical Center, New York, New York
- Residency (Neurology): The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
- Board Certification: Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Neurology)
- Certificate in Neurosurgery, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- American Academy of Neurology (AAN)
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (ACVIM)
- American Epilepsy Society (AES)
- American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
- Chicago Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA)
- Illinois State Veterinary Medical Association (ISVMA)