Rebecca Essig, DVM, MS, Diplomate, ACVS-SA is a board-certified Veterinary Surgeon at MedVet Indianapolis where she has been a part of the team since October 2020. Dr. Essig earned her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from the Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine in Manhattan, KS. She then completed a specialty internship in veterinary surgery and a Surgery Residency at the Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine in West Lafayette, IN.
Dr. Essig has a special interest in soft tissue and reconstructive surgery, oncologic surgery, and general orthopedic surgery. She has authored publications regarding the prevention of hypothermia in patients undergoing general anesthesia and the impact of teaching on operative times of patients undergoing anesthesia for elective procedures. Dr. Essig’s favorite part of veterinary medicine is providing exemplary care for pets to ensure they can continue to have good quality time with their families. She feels immense satisfaction when she can reunite a pet with its family after undergoing a major surgical procedure.
In her spare time, Dr. Essig enjoys spending time with her family, running, being outdoors, traveling, and reading.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Manhattan, Kansas
- Specialty Internship in Veterinary Surgery: Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine, West Lafayette, Indiana
- Surgery Residency: Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine, West Lafayette, Indiana
- Board Certification: Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons - Small Animal
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons (ACVS)
- American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
- Indiana Veterinary Medical Association (IVMA)
- Society of Veterinary Soft Tissue Surgeons