Roberta Portela, DVM, Diplomate, ACVIM (Oncology) is a board-certified Veterinary Oncologist who joined the MedVet Chicago team in January 2020. Dr. Portela earned her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from Sao Paulo State University, Brazil followed by an equivalent Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree in the United States via the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) ECFVG program. She completed a rotating small animal medicine and surgery internship at the University of Ontario Veterinary College in Ontario, Canada followed by a medical oncology internship at The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine in Columbus, OH. Dr. Portela then completed her residency in medical oncology at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in Urbana, IL.
Dr. Portela maintains a special interest in targeted and metronomic therapies and her favorite part of practicing veterinary medicine is helping animals fight their disease without suffering while helping families cope with their pet’s illness and understanding the process in a clinically collaborative environment.
When not practicing veterinary medicine, Dr. Portela is a cinema enthusiast and enjoys scuba diving, travel, and spending time in nature and around wild animals.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: Sao Paulo State University, Brazil
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: via the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) ECFVG program
- Internship: Rotating Small Animal Medicine & Surgery, University of Ontario Veterinary College, Ontario, Canada
- Internship: Medical Oncology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
- Residency: Medical Oncology, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois
- Medical Oncology
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- Veterinary Cancer Society
- American Veterinary Medical Association