Ryneil Castro, DVM is an Emergency Medicine Veterinarian at MedVet Mandeville and MedVet New Orleans where he has been part of the medical team since 2016. Dr. Castro attended California State University-Long Beach where he earned a Bachelor of Science in Microbiology degree and Western University College of Veterinary Medicine where he earned a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree. Following his graduation from veterinary school, Dr. Castro completed a yearlong internship in small animal medicine and surgery at VCA Emergency Animal Hospital and Referral Center in San Diego. Dr. Castro continued working as an emergency veterinarian in Santa Barbara before joining the MedVet Louisiana emergency team.
Dr. Castro appreciates the collaborative nature of emergency medicine and particularly enjoys helping pets and improving their quality of life. His interest in veterinary medicine started when he had his own aquarium cleaning business which led him to volunteer work at Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific and the Marine Mammal Care Center helping to rehabilitate seals and sea lions. When not treating patients, Dr. Castro enjoys surfing, yoga, capoeira, mountain biking, and bouldering.
- Bachelors of Science: California State University- Long Beach, Long Beach, California
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: Western University College of Veterinary Medicine, Pomona, California
- Internship (Small Animal Medicine and Surgery): VCA Emergency Animal Hospital & Referral Center, San Diego, California
- Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society
- American Veterinary Medical Association