Dr. Owens attended Purdue University where he earned a Bachelor’s degree in Animal Science and a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree. Following his graduation from veterinary school, Dr. Owens spent a year in a mixed animal practice followed by a year as an emergency clinician at Circle City Veterinary Specialty & Emergency Hospital, now known as MedVet Indianapolis.
In 2008, Dr. Owens returned to Purdue University to pursue a yearlong internship in small animal medicine and surgery followed by a three-year residency and Master’s program in small animal internal medicine. The topic of research for his residency was canine protein losing enteropathy. Dr. Owens became a board-certified Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine in 2012.
Although Dr. Owens has clinical interest in all aspects of internal medicine, he has particular interest in gastroenterology, endocrinology, and immune-mediated diseases. He is trained and skilled in procedures including gastroduodenoscopy, colonoscopy, rhinoscopy, cystoscopy, tracheobronchoscopy and abdominal ultrasonography.
One of his favorite parts of being a veterinarian is being able to diagnose and treat a pet with a chronic illness and watch the improvement in their condition and quality of life. When not treating patients, Dr. Owens enjoys traveling, spending time with his family and working on his horse farm. Dr. Owens actively competes in dressage and three day eventing and sits on the board of directors of the Indiana Eventing Association.
- Bachelor in Science: Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: Purdue University School of Veterinary Medicine, West Lafayette, Indiana
- Masters of Science: Purdue University School of Veterinary Medicine, West Lafayette, Indiana
- Internship: Purdue University School of Veterinary Medicine, West Lafayette, Indiana
- Residency: Purdue University School of Veterinary Medicine, West Lafayette, Indiana
- Board Certification: Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Small Animal Internal Medicine)
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- Comparative Gastroenterology Society
- Central Indiana Veterinary Medical Associations