Sofia Gonzalez, DVM, Diplomate, ACVIM (Neurology), is a Board-certified Veterinary Neurologist who joined the MedVet Chicago team in 2017. She is also the Neurology Specialty Leader for all MedVet locations.
Dr. Gonzalez attended Pennsylvania State University where she earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Animal Bioscience followed by a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine. Upon completion of veterinary school, Dr. Gonzalez performed a rotating internship in Small Animal Medicine and Surgery at the Animal Medical Center in New York, NY. She then completed her residency at The North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine.
In addition to her clinical endeavors, Dr. Gonzalez is the author of numerous publications discussing craniocervical junction abnormalities, Chiari-like malformations, syringomyelia, neuromuscular disease, anti-epileptic medications, encephalitis, and spinal tumors, among others. She is an active member of several professional organizations, including the American Veterinary Medical Association, American Animal Hospital Association, Veterinary Neurosurgical Society, Phi Zeta National Honor Society, Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Fraternity, and the Golden Key International Honor Society.
Although interested in all aspects of veterinary neurology, Dr. Gonzalez is particularly passionate about congenital abnormalities of the brain and spine, abnormalities of cerebrospinal fluid and blood flow within the nervous system, and pain management. Her favorite part of being a veterinarians is witnessing the relationships developed with owners and their pets, as well as having the opportunity to solve the puzzle that is finding the most ideal diagnostic and treatment plan for each individual patient.
When not caring for her patients and clients, Dr. Gonzalez enjoys spending time with her family, horseback riding, music, art, and running.
- Bachelor of Science: Pennsylvania State University, State College, Pennsylvania
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, Ithaca, New York
- Rotating Internship: The Animal Medical Center, New York, New York
- Residency: North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Raleigh, North Carolina
- Board Certification: Diplomate of the American College of Internal Medicine (Neurology)
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American Animal Hospital Association
- Veterinary Information Network
- Veterinary Neurosurgical Society,
- Phi Zeta National Honor Society
- Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Fraternity
- Golden Key International Honor Society