Veterinarians commonly recommend peanut butter as a way for pet owners to give dogs their pills. However, care must be taken when choosing which peanut butter to use based on the addition of xylitol to some peanut butter brands.

Xylitol is a sweetener used in gum, baked goods, and many products designed for people with diabetes due to its low glycemic index and low calorie content. It is highly toxic to some dogs, causing low blood sugar and liver failure.

Xylitol Containing Peanut Butters

Some peanut butters we’re aware of that contain xylitol include:

  • Go Nuts, Co.®
  • Nuts ‘N More®
  • P28®

There has also been discussion that xylitol may be added to common grocery store brands of peanut butter, which can happen without warning. We encourage pet owners to carefully read ingredient labels on peanut butter jars to avoid the active ingredient xylitol. Please read the ingredient labels even if it’s the same brand you have previously used.

If you see xylitol as an ingredient, do NOT give it to your dog.

What to Do If Your Dog Eats Peanut Butter with Xylitol

If your dog ingests a xylitol-containing product and you can’t get in touch with your veterinarian, call your closest veterinary emergency clinic, or call a poison control hotline for pets. Two common veterinary poison hotlines are:

A common recommendation after ingestion of xylitol is induction of vomiting, but you should always speak to a veterinarian before doing so. Additional recommendations include monitoring of liver values and blood sugar, and IV fluids with dextrose.