Lyme Disease Safety Precautions

According to the Companion Animal Parasite Council (CAPC), Lyme disease is on the rise with over 300,000 cases diagnosed every year. In order to keep pets safe and healthy, it is important that pet owners remain aware of the following tips and Lyme Disease safety precautions. Lyme disease is caused by a bacteria called Borrelia burgdorferi which is transferred to both humans and animals by ticks. Thoroughly checking pets for ticks daily can help reduce…

Read More

Important: Other Sources of Xylitol to Dogs

Xylitol is a sugar-free sweetener used in chewing gum, baked goods, and many other products created for human consumption. It is commonly used by people with Diabetes Mellitus due to its low glycemic index and low-calorie content. Xylitol can be highly toxic to dogs, causing low blood sugar and liver failure.  The hypoglycemia is caused by insulin release stimulated by xylitol.  This effect generally lasts 12-24 hours but can be delayed.  The liver failure…

Read More

Grape Juice – Is it Toxic?

We make dozens of calls to the poison control companies and we thought we would pass on this tip. We had a couple recent calls about dogs ingesting grape flavored products. What we learned was that most products processed with grapes are so dilute that they have never had a case that developed toxicity from this type of ingestion and therefore do not feel they are toxic.

Read More

Toxic Dose of Naproxen in Dogs

Naproxen, most commonly known by the names Midol® and Aleve®, is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID).  It works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain. Like other NSAIDs, it can be used therapeutically in dogs but overdoses and toxicities are common. Naproxen has a narrow margin of safety. Unlike humans and many other species who eliminate naproxen in urine, dogs require extensive enterohepatic recirculation and eliminate naproxen in the feces. This accounts for a…

Read More

What to Dog if Your Dog Breaks or Tears a Nail

A bleeding or broken toenail is a very common injury in dogs. It often requires a visit to the vet, immediately, if serious. Left untreated, a bleeding or broken toenail can result in blood loss, pain or infection, though it is rarely a life-threatening condition. Nail breaks or tears can be major or minor. Major breaks are deeper and tend to bleed more. Major Nail Bleeds & Nail Breaks in Dogs  A toenail that breaks…

Read More