John C. Chandler, DVM, MS, DACVS, joined WestVet in 2005 after completing his three-year surgical residency at Colorado State University. In 2006, he received his certification as a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons.
His diverse path to specialty training began at a young age when he began working as a veterinary assistant while growing up in New Mexico. During his time at Colorado State University, where he completed his Bachelor of Science degree, Dr. Chandler worked as a small animal surgery technician at the CSU Veterinary Teaching Hospital. It was during this time that his passion for veterinary surgery began to grow.
After being awarded his Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from Colorado State University in 2000, he completed a one-year rotating medical and surgical internship at Washington State University followed by a one-year surgical internship at Gulf Coast Veterinary Surgery in Houston. Dr. Chandler also completed a Master’s degree in science in 2005.
This long path to board certification allowed many unique opportunities for him. In addition to the typical broad training in general, orthopedic, and neurological surgery, Dr. Chandler had the honor of training in surgical oncology at the Colorado State University Animal Cancer Center—one of the foremost veterinary cancer centers in the world. While in Houston, he developed his arthroscopic skills while training with by the co-authors of the first and only small animal arthroscopy textbook.
Dr. Chandler earned the Outstanding Small Animal Resident Award while at CSU. He has authored several peer-reviewed publications on topics including postoperative anti-arrhythmic therapy, feline orthopedics, gastrointestinal conditions, tibial plateau leveling osteotomy (TPLO), and stifle arthroscopy.
Dr. Chandler is a member of the Veterinary Orthopedic Society (VOS), where he has presented his research twice with podium presentations at the annual conference. He formerly served as the Director of the VOS Education Foundation.
Other professional memberships for him include the Veterinary Society of Surgical Oncology (VSSO); American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA); and Idaho Veterinary Medical Association (IVMA). In addition to attending several veterinary surgery conferences each year, Dr. Chandler has presented countless hours of continuing education lectures at conferences in Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Oregon, Washington, and Idaho.
- Bachelor of Science: Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colorado
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colorado
- Internship: Gulf Coast Veterinary Surgery in Houston, Texas
- Internship: Washington State University in Pullman, Washington
- Masters of Science: Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colorado
- Residency: Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colorado
- Diplomate American College of Veterinary Surgeons (ACVS)
- Veterinary Orthopedic Society (VOS)
- American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
- Idaho Veterinary Medical Association (IVMA)
- Veterinary Society of Surgical Oncology (VSSO)