Julie Ann Smith, DVM, Diplomate, ACVAA, is a Board-certified Specialist in Veterinary Anesthesia & Analgesia at MedVet Northern Virginia She has been a part of the team since 2014.
Dr. Smith attended Texas Tech University where she earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Zoology and Texas A & M University where she earned both a Bachelor of Science degree in Animal Science and a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree. Following her graduation from veterinary school, Dr. Smith completed a yearlong internship in small animal medicine and surgery at the University of Missouri followed by a three-year residency in anesthesiology starting at the University of Missouri College of Veterinary Medicine and finishing at the Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine.
Since becoming a board-certified Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Anesthesiology in 1995, Dr. Smith has been a Clinical Instructor in the Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences at the Ohio State University and an Assistant Professor at Louisiana State University School of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Smith has been widely published on the topics of anesthesiology and pain management in a variety of veterinary journals and textbooks including the Journal of Avian Medicine and Surgery, The Proceedings of the United States Animal Health Association, and the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
Dr. Smith has lectured extensively on anesthesia topics to veterinarians across the country. She has been a consultant for several animal species at The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium and local veterinary hospitals to provide support in the areas of anesthesia and pain management.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Zoology: Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX
- Bachelor of Science degree in Animal Science: Texas A & M University, College Station, TX
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: College of Veterinary Medicine: Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
- Internship: University of Missouri-Columbia College of Veterinary Medicine, Columbia, MO
- Residency: University of Missouri College of Veterinary Medicine and College of Medicine, Columbia, Missouri; The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Columbus, OH
- Board Certification: Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia
- American College of Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- International Veterinary Academy of Pain Management
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Virginia Veterinary Medical Association
- Northern Virginia Veterinary Medical Association